Today we harvest the Trout!
Welcome everyone, to the extremely long winded initiation of my blog.
I’m happy to announce that the harvesting of the trout was, for the most part hiccup free. Netting them was a little tricky, but after much practice I was able to, on one occasion, net three in one foul swoop. However, I suspect that this may have been more good luck than good management.
Netting the slippery suckers The big fella never got away!
The next part was the act of going about terminating their lives. This I left up to my blood thirsty friend Sue, as she just loves the scary/gory movies and I figured that this would be right up her alley.
Now, being quite new to this type of thing, we endeavoured to find the quickest and least painful way to end the lives of these little creatures. We did some research on Ike Jime and decided that from a lot of articles that we read, that this method requires a certain amount of skill. Skill that we knew only too well, that we didn’t have. So, we decided that we would ensure that we had very sharp knives ( including a meat cleaver, and ultimately Sue’s tool of choice ) in order to make quick, clean cuts. Sue favoured the meat cleaver, as she felt that she could manage it well and be able to lean into it, ensuring that enough weight was applied to make a clean cut. Only a small cut was made and coupled with a swift pulling back motion of the head, the necks were broken leaving the heads attached to the bodies for presentation purposes.
Sue carrying out the dastardley deed. The deed completed.
As Sue gutted the trout, I went about preparing the brine to soak the fish in, in preparation for the following day of trying out the new smoker. I had, the fortnight prior purchased a Bradley smoker from BBQ,s galore. Quite a neat and light weight machine, which resembles and is approximately the same size as a bar fridge.
Ingredients used for the brine, also included water. We chose a low salt soy sauce, given that there were a lot of other salty ingredients.
Pouring brine into plastic bag with trout Marinated over night in fridge.
The following day we set up the smoker and proceeded to do the initial seasoning with maple briquettes. As the smoker was doing it’s thing, Sue took the trout out of the fridge and set about getting them out of the brine and patting them dry with paper towel. We decided that we would use cherry briquettes to do the entire smoking, and so loaded up the dispenser. The whole process took approximately four hours.
The Bradley Smoker. Bradley loaded with briquettes.
Loading up the smoker. Toothpicks to ensure good coverage.
The big fellas had to go longways Smokin’!!
Fully loaded. After four hours- ‘mission accomplished’
I’m happy to announce that the smoking was very successful as the first fish was sampled by Joel Malcolm, who claimed that the trout was outstanding. After sampling some ourselves, we had to agree whole heartedly. All the fish were vacuum sealed, and were enjoyed by all that received them, including people that either didn’t usually like trout or weren’t fond of anything that had been smoked.